Old Spitalfields is one of the best shopping areas in London and offers visitors the chance to buy a range of unique items from trader stalls.
Voted the ‘Best Private Market’ by the National Association of British Market Authorities as recently as 2011, the market is housed within the Horner Square and Horner Buildings, which are both Grade II listed.
Open seven days a week, you will find everything from popular fashion, arts and crafts, food and antiques at the market. Those attending at the weekend are warned that it will be much busier than during weekdays. The address is 16 Horner Square, Spitalfields, London E1 6EW.
The type of products on sale is decided by the day of the week, with the main market days on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. On the first and third Friday of the month, there is a record fair and this gives music lovers the chance to pick up some rare items.
According to its organisers, Old Spitalfields Market is “renowned for its cutting-edge fashion” and that “contemporary or classic, you’ll be spoilt for choice with some of the best names in the capital”.
Monday to Wednesday: 10 am to 5pm (general markets stalls)
Thursday: 9 am to 5 pm (antiques and vintage market)
Friday: 10 am to 4 pm (fashion and art market)
Saturday: 11 am to 5 pm (themed market day)
Sunday: 9 am to 5 pm (general market stalls)
Among the permanent shops surrounding the market are:
- Albam Clothing – An independent British designer producing unique and original clothing
- Androuet – A cheese store that brings a bit of Parisian chic to London
- Camper – Specialist family shoe store originally from Spain
- Crepeaffaire – Patisserie catering for everyone’s sweet tooth
- Hackett – Menswear store featuring garments hand-picked from all Hackett stores
- Joseph Cheaney & Sons – Family shoe store that has occupied the site since 1886
- Las Iguanas – Serving food and drink the South American way
- Pilpel – Famous falafel and houmous bar serving healthy food
- Author Shoes – London’s best known shoe secret, it stocks big name designers
- Bethnals – London-based unisex denim brand
- Bleecker St. Burger – Serves New York-style burgers with a London twist
- Superga – Designer outlet is the the second largest store in the UK for the Italian footwear brand
Nearby tube stations
- Liverpool Street (0.4 miles) – Head northeast on Old Broad Street and then turn right on to Liverpool Street. Next, turn left towards Bishopsgate and then turn left on to Bishopsgate. Take a slight right to stay on Bishopsgate, turn right on Brushfield Street and the destination will be on the left. This walk will take about eight minutes.
- Shoreditch High Street (0.4 miles) – Head south on Braithwaite Street, continue on to Wheler Street, turn left on Commercial Street and then turn right on Brushfield Street. The destination will be on the right and the walk will take about seven minutes.
- Aldgate East (0.4 miles) – Head northeast on Whitechapel High Street towards Commercial Street. Take a slight right to stay on Commercial Street and then take a left on to Brushfield Street. The destination will be on the right and the walk will take about seven minutes.
- The Montcalm At The Brewery London City (52 Chiswell Street, London EC1Y 4SD) – 17 minutes away
- London City Suites (46 Chiswell Street, London EC1Y 4SB) – 17 minutes away
- M by Montcalm Shoreditch London Tech City (151-157 City Road, London EC1V 1JH) – 21 minutes away
- Spital Square Car Park (Spital Square, London E1)
- Truman Brewery Parking (Grey Eagle Street, Greater London E16)
- Hearn Street Car Park (7-11 Hearn Street, London EC2A 3LS)
- U-Park (38 Goulston Street, London E1 7TP)
Nearby places of interest
- Raven Row (56 Artillery Lane, Spitalfields, London E1)
- Christ Church Spitalfields (Commercial Street, Spitalfields, London E1)
- Whitechapel Gallery (77-82 Whitechapel High Street, Spitalfields, London E1)
- Dennis Severs’ House (18 Folgate Street, Spitalfields, London E1)
- The Rectory Gallery (2 Fournier Street, Spitalfields, London E1)
- Whitechapel Bell Foundry (32-34 Whitechapel Road, Spitalfields, London E1)
- Tower of London (Tower of London, London EC3N 4AB)
- Shoreditch Street Art Tours (leaving from the The Goat Statue, Brushfield St, London E1 6AA)
- London Marathon Store (1-3 Norton Folgate Bishopsgate, London E1 6DB)
- Lollipop Gallery (58 Commercial Street, London E1 6LT)
- Boxpark Shoreditch (2-10 Bethnal Green Road Shoreditch, London E1 6G)
- All Star Lanes (95 Brick Lane, London E1 6QL)