Redchurch Street has developed a reputation as a bohemian centre in recent years.
While it used to be quite a neglected area of London, this has all changed as the destination – which has been dubbed the East End’s answer to Bond Street – has become one of the most coveted postcodes for brands looking to project a cool image.
Indeed, the location is now a high-end shopping destination and acts as a beacon for designer brands – shoemaker Tracey Neuls, Sunspel and Aubin and Wills have all opened up chains here.
But the area didn’t always used to be this popular and its rise has seen it compared with New York’s Meat Packing district – another area that went from being very unglamorous to being synonymous with high-end fashion.
Part of the reason behind the success of Redchurch Street is its location – as it is right beside Shoreditch High Street and Brick Lane Market. This means it benefits from the catchment areas of these locations, especially at the weekends.
Exploring East London
Aside from all of the trendy shops that have chosen to base themselves in Redchurch Street, galleries have also recognised the potential of the area and chosen to jump on the bandwagon.
One of the downsides of the growing popularity, however, has been the predictable rise in rents as space becomes a premium. But thanks to the mix of creative types choosing Redchurch Street, the future looks bright for an area that was previously better known for dilapidated buildings. The address is Redchurch St London E2 7DJ.
What shops are on Redchurch Street?
- Labour & Wait – Offers a range of household goods, including dustpans, welcome mats and buckets, but they have all been given a unique design. Perfect for those who like their house to be decked out with only the finest.
- Aesop – This beauty shop stocks a range of body care goods and fragrances. Staff will match your skin type with the right products to make sure you are maximising your beauty routine.
- Murdock – An old-school barbers that offers a close shave and a stylish haircut, you can also purchase an extensive selection of men’s grooming and shaving accessories on site.
- Hostem – Featuring some of the best cutting-edge designs, this clothing shop stocks a host of designer brands, including Egg, Dries Van Noten, Alice Waese and Achilles Ion Gabriel.
Jack Wills – Stocking both ladies’ and gentlemen’s casual clothing, this shop is perfect for getting some items for relaxing in during the summer and winter months.
- Maison Trois Garcons – This lifestyle shop features a number of one-off items designed to add real class to your life. There is also a cafe stocking delicious and reasonably-priced food.
- 11 Boundary – A women’s boutique that stocks everything a stylish girl needs to go on holiday. Features T-shirts from Wildfox and tailoring from Twenty8Twelve.
- Aubin & Wills – A designer fashion store with a difference, this concept store houses a small luxury cinema, a very roomy shop and a gallery.
- Caravan – One of the first shops to locate in Redchurch Street, Caravan is full of eccentric vintage-style homewares and gifts.
Nearby tube stations
- Old Street station (0.5 miles away) – Head north on Old Street, continue on to Great Eastern Street and then turn left on to Curtain Road. Next, turn right on to New Yard Inn, turn right on to Shoreditch High Street and finally take a left on to Redchurch Street. This walk will take about ten minutes.
- Liverpool Street station (0.5 miles away) – Head southeast towards Sun Street Passage, turn right toward Bishopsgate, turn left on to Bishopsgate and then turn right on to Redchurch Street. This walk will take about nine minutes.
- Aldgate East station (0.7 miles away) – Head northeast on Whitechapel High Street towards Commercial Street and then turn left on Commercial Street. Next, turn right on Shoreditch High Street and then turn right on to Redchurch Street. This walk will take about 15 minutes.
Nearby car parks
All of the following car parks are within ten minutes of Redchurch Street:
- Sclater Street Car Park (Brick Lane, Shoreditch, London E1 6HR)
- Great Eastern Street NCP (35 Great Eastern Street, Shoreditch, London EC2A 3ER)
- Spitalfields Car Park (Eden House, Spitalfields, Spital Square, London E1 6DX)
- Leonard Street Car Park (Shoreditch, London EC2A 4RD)
- Clere Street NCP (Clere Street, Shoreditch, London EC2A 4LJ)
- Paul Street NCP (62 Paul Street, Shoreditch, London EC2A 4NA)