Social gatherings are a great way to bring together family, a group of friends or work colleagues for a special occasion.
They can be relaxed or formal in tone and offer people the chance to strengthen old bonds or to meet future acquaintances. For many, they are a much more civilised way to spend a night than going out to a bar or club.
The setting also encourages conversation, as everyone can relax and get to know each other at a leisurely pace.
London is a particularly good city for hosting social gatherings, as there is such a wide range of venues. From creative spaces to outdoor markets and world-renowned restaurants, there really is something for every type of social gathering. Imagine hosting an event with The Shard or the Tower of London in the background? At the very least it will make for a good conversation starter.
So as long as you bring a positive attitude and practice personal and professional etiquette, there is a very good chance that you will enjoy yourself at one of these events.
Social gathering ideas
Obviously there are a number of ways to host a social gathering, so you have to make a decision on the best format based on the guestlist and the nature of the relationship of the people coming along. Here are some of the most popular ideas:
- An activity – Bowling, cocktail making and table tennis are all fun and competitive, so they are ideal for corporate social gatherings as it gives people the chance to interact without having to focus on work. This relaxed setting should also encourage people to let their hair down and get to know each other.
- A BBQ – Obviously this option is only really available during the summer, but it is a great way to bring friends or work colleagues together. If it’s for a corporate audience, why not hire a roof garden at a bar? Not only will this allow people to take advantage of the views on offer, but it encourages a real community spirit.
- Karaoke party – This event will be a lot of fun, as people can do their best impersonations of rock and pop stars. Karaoke is great fun and suitable for people of all skill levels, while it offers you the perfect opportunity to show yourself off in a new light. As an added bonus, why not charge a small entry fee and donate the money to charity?
- A dinner – A classic style of social gathering, is there a better way to enjoy someone’s company than over a nice meal? Going to a new restaurant works for almost every type of social occasion, as it gives everyone plenty of time to indulge in conversation.
- Team events – Whether it is go karting, football or running, team sports are a great way to bring together family, a group of friends or work colleagues. The feeling of accomplishment is infectious, and it will only strengthen the ties between the group when they are finished.
Social gathering events in London
As already mentioned, London is a superb city for social gatherings as it has such a broad range of event spaces. So what are some of the best social events taking place in London?
- Holi Festival of Colours (Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London E20 2ST)
- Film and Comic Con London (Olympia London, Hammersmith Road, Kensington London W14 8UX)
- Ken’s Events Social Group (Various locations)
- West Ham Park Health Walk (West Ham Park, Upton Lane, London E7 9PU)
- Monster Club children’s group (Barbican Children’s Library, Silk Street, London EC2Y)
- Jubilee Food Garden growing project (Belvedere Road, London SE1 8RT)
Where is the best place for hosting social gatherings in London?
If you want to create a truly unique event, the best option is to hire a space and put the event together yourself. This is what is so good about M by Montcalm Shoreditch, as our fabulous hotel is able to cater for all tastes.
Whether you’re hosting a special family dinner or a VIP party, the stylish spaces, coupled with the great food and service on offer, means you are guaranteed to deliver a first-class experience. From intimate gatherings to large groups, we are able to meet your requirements and provide the right level of support to make sure everything goes off without a hitch. So if you need to find somewhere to have an unforgettable evening, look no further.